Peninsula Bridge Club News
- Written by Flapper Snapper
ANSWER: Congratulations to Robert Gavan, the only person to guess that our mystery bride is Una Mingay. And the year of Colin and Una's wedding was 1943 - yes it is coming up to 75 years in 2018!
Can you guess who is featured in this photo and in which year it was taken? If you open this article (by clicking on the title or the Read More link) you will see a larger version of the photo.
To encourage your persistence we have two free session vouchers (now worth $7 each) to give away to the best guesses we receive.
How to enter? You just need to answer the three questions in the simple form below.
- Written by David Farmer
We are reviewing the 2017 Tuesday night initiatives and considering possible 2018 initiatives for members who wish to improve their competitive play.
If either you attended Tuesday night over the past six months or you are interested in collaborative initiatives to help you improve your competitive play, then this is for you.
- Written by David Farmer
This Week in Bridge is looking at Defense in short articles suitable for club and congress level players.Try these for some good ideas:
- "Planning the defense" - a good two page summary.
- "Figuring out declarer's hand - asking questions" - five pages (includes coverage of 2/1 bidding).
- "Assumptions in defense" - great two page summary on making inferences from what declarer is doing.
- "Which honor to cover or capture" - not as simple as it may seem... - five pages worth reading.
- "Getting your ruffs" - four pages worth reading to help avoid missed opportunities.
- "When to get active" - four pages on recognizing situations where the defense needs to take their winners before they 'go away'.
- "Always lead partner's suit?" - four pages on the delicate question of when not to lead partner's suit...
- Written by Gayle King
Join us on Tuesday 7 November for the club’s annual Melbourne Cup event. Play some bridge amidst all the excitement! There will be two sections – Open and Restricted. Come early as the friendly bar staff will open at 9.30 and you can start buying your sweep tickets at 10am. Make it easy and bring the correct change for the $5, $2 and $1 sweeps.
Bridge play starts at 11am. Play some bridge then lunch, then more bridge before watching the race live. There will be Lucky Door and Best Hat prizes so come dressed to impress! Check all the event details.
- Written by Vicki Clark
Thanks David and co for your great newsletter!
I like to see what the champs are doing particularly representing our club but also I liked the items written by members:
- Moira's recommendation for another early start day ( perhaps Friday) is great especially for those who need to get way for school pickup or work. Day light saving works so well if we start early too.
- Thanks Terry for the information about the Buddies. Just wondering if it could be with perhaps under 20 Masterpoints (like me !).
- Written by Vivien Eldridge
This is the second year of this PREMIER EVENT. So find yourself a partner and sign up at the club. The winning pair get their names in gold on the honour board!
Three Fridays starting on 6th October.
This is a members only PAIRS competition.
Only emergency substitutes are allowed. This means the same pair must commit to play in all three sessions.
The pair with the highest cumulative percentage will win.
There will be a prize for the best under 15 and the best under 50. Prizes limited to one per pair.
Entrants must have less than 100 master points as at 01/10/2017.
Convenor – Ray Hurst/Vivien Eldridge
- Written by Susan Jensen
The double is the most flexible bid in bridge, and can help you and partner find some excellent contracts. Use it wisely, and understand when it’s good to enter the bidding with double, and when NOT to.
Come to our learning workshop on Tue 17 October (click the link for all the details) led by ABF Teaching Coordinator, Joan Butts, and gain comfort with the ways you use the double to improve your bridge success.